The insight by Kossel’s about the mechanism of formation of electronegative and electropositiveions interconnected the process of attaining noble gas configuration by correspondingions. They are stable due to the electrostatic attraction allying ions. Hence gives rise to a concept called electrovalency.
What Is Covalent Bonding
Lewis was the first to provide a description on covalent bonding based on the electron pair between atoms. Importance of Lewis dot symbol and Lewis Dot Structure are:
- Lewis dot symbol manifests the number of valence electrons of the atoms for given elements
- Lewis dot structure gives a pictorial representation of molecular bonding
Ionic Compound & Crystal Lattice
The crystal lattice is an ordered arrangement of an ionic compound which is pictured as a three-dimensional aggregation of negative and positive ions. There exists a charge balance between the negative and positive ions in a crystalline solid. The enthalpy of lattice formation stabilizes the crystal lattice.
Lone Pairs Of Electrons
A few atoms which are bonded have an extra pair of electrons which are not involved in bonding. Such electrons are called lone pairs of electrons. Lewis dot structure represents the arrangement of lone pairs and bonded pairs around each atom of a molecule.
|NCERT Solutions for class 11 chemistry Chapter 4|
|NCERT Exemplar for class 11 chemistry Chapter 4|
Few Important Questions
- How is a chemical bond formed? Explain in detail.
- What is Octet rule? Write its limitations and importance.
- Write the difference between a pi bond and a sigma bond.
- Explain polar covalent bond with an example.
Explore more about this chapter and to download Chemical Bonding And Molecular Structure Class 11 Notes PDF register with BYJU’s right away!
Other Important Links: