Microbes, also called as the microorganisms are the major components of biological systems on the earth. They are present everywhere, around us, in the soil, water, air, and both in and on our body. They are also found in other
animals and plants. These organisms are so minute and vary in their size and
shapes and cannot be seen by naked eyes. They can only be seen through the microscope. The different types of microbes are:
Microbes in Human Welfare
Apart from the harmful and Infectious disease causing pathogens, there are several useful microorganisms which are beneficial to humans in various ways. Some of the most important contributions of microbes to human welfare are discussed below.
In Household Products
- Fermentation of milk to prepare yogurt.
- Curdling of milk to prepare curd, cheese, and paneer.
- Fermentation of dough, which is used for making bread, idli, and dosa.
In Industrial Products
- Production Beverages like wine, beer, whiskey, brandy or rum.
- Production antibiotics like Penicillin and other chemical substances to kill or retard the growth of disease-causing microbes.
- Few Chemicals, Enzymes and other Bioactive Molecules are also produced by these microbes for various human uses.
Other applications of microbes include:
- Sewage Treatment.
- Production of Biogas.
- Production of Biocontrol Agents and Biofertilizers.
Few Important Questions
- What are microbes?
- What is fermentation?
- List out the uses of microorganisms in Agriculture?
- What is Biogas? Explain how microbes are used in the production of biogas
- What is sewage? Write the difference between primary and secondary sewage treatment?
Learn more about microorganisms, its types, applications and its beneficial to humans from the topics given below: