We eat different types of vegetables, fruits, cereals and pulses. We all eat food to obtain energy for our daily activities. There are different components of food and each of these components is required for our body to perform different cellular activities.
What are the Components of Food
There are different varieties of food and all these foods are made up of different ingredients, called the components. There are five main components of food and are essential for the proper functioning of our body cells and tissues. These components are called as the Nutrients.
A balanced diet is a diet which included a good amount of nutrients, roughage and the required amount of water.
Nutrients are the essential elements present in the food, which functions by building and repairing damaged tissues, controlling the body metabolism and by providing the energy required for different cellular activities. These nutrients include:
- Carbohydrates – Food rich in carbohydrates includes rice, wheat, peas, potatoes, beans, etc.
- Vitamins – Food rich in vitamins include green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, egg, butter, milk, etc.
- Proteins – Food rich in proteins includes milk, butter, cheese, eggs, fish, nuts, pulse, etc.
- Fats – Food rich in fats includes butter, ghee, oil, meat, etc.
- Minerals – Food rich in minerals include eggs, green leafy vegetables, milk and milk products, bajra, etc.
- What is a Balanced diet?
- What is Night blindness?
- Name the food rich in Proteins.
- Name the nutrients which give us energy
- Name the disease caused by the deficiency of Vitamin D?
Learn more about the Components of Food from the topics given below: