Everything around us is categorized into either metals or non-metals. Hence, it is important to know what non-metals and metals are and how to distinguish them. The class 8 science chapter 4 discusses the various physical and chemical properties of metals and non-metals. To help you with it, here we list a few physical and chemical properties of metals and non-metals.
- Physical Properties of Metals
- Metals are lustrous
- Metals are ductile and malleable
- Metals are good conductors of heat and electricity
- Metals, when struck by hard objects, make a sound
- Chemical Properties of Metals
- Metals on reacting with oxygen produce metal oxide which is basic in nature
- A few metals react with water and produce metal hydroxide and hydrogen gas
- Hydrogen gas and metal salts are produced when metals react with acids
- Some metals react with bases and produce hydrogen gas
- Less reactive metals are displaced by more reactive metals from their compound in aqueous solutions
- Physical Properties of Non-metals
- Non-metals are non-lustrous
- Non-metals are not ductile and malleable
- Non-metals are poor conductors of heat and electricity
- Non-metals do not produce sound when struck by hard objects
- Chemical Properties of Non-metals
- When non-metals react with oxygen, non-metal oxides which are acidic in nature are produced
- Non-metals do not react with water and acids
Metals are used in building machinery, automobiles industrial gadgets, cooking utensils and many more. Non-metals are used in chemical fertilisers, water purification, antiseptic and crackers.
Metals And Nonmetals Class 8 MCQ
- Which of the following can be beaten into thin sheets?
- Metal oxides are _____ in nature.
- None of the above
|NCERT Solutions for class 8 Science Chapter 4|
|NCERT Exemplar for class 8 Science Chapter 4|
Learn more about metals and non-metals and other related topics including NCERT class 8 science notes, at BYJU’S.