British in India wanted not only territorial conquest and control over revenues. They also felt that they had a cultural mission: they had to “civilise the natives”, change their customs and values. Chapter 7 of CBSE Class 8 History explores how British rule affected the lives of students. They get to learn the concepts related to Civilising the “Native” and Educating the Nation. CBSE Class 8 History Chapter 7 Civilising the “Native”, Educating the Nation Important Questions will help students to master the concepts and revise the Chapter most proficiently for the exam.
Find the link below in this article to download the CBSE Class 8 Social Science Important Questions from Chapter 5 History.
Download CBSE Class 8 History Chapter 7 Civilising the “Native”, Educating the Nation Important Questions PDF
Civilising the “Native”, Educating the Nation
1. Explain the terms ‘linguist’ and ‘Orientalists’.
2. Who was Henry Thomas Colebrooke?
3. Explain the term vernacular.
4. Why did William Jones feel the need to study Indian history, philosophy and law? Discuss.
5. Why did James Mill and Thomas Macaulay think that European education was essential in India? Explain.
6. Why did Mahatma Gandhi want to teach children handicrafts? Discuss.
7. Why did Mahatma Gandhi think that English education had enslaved Indians? Discuss.
8. James Mill was a severe critic of the Orientalists. True or False?
9. The 1854 Despatch on education was in favour of English being introduced as a medium of higher education in India. Do you agree?
10. What are the provisions of Wood’s Despatch Act of 1854? Mention any 5.
11. Who is a munshi?
12. Describe the attitude of Orientalist towards India and its culture.
13. Explain Tagore’s idea of education.
14. Write a short note on William Jones.
15. What were the differences between Gandhi and Tagore on the point of education? Elaborate.
16. What were the measures introduced by the British during the Wood’s Despatch?
17. Write about education as a civilising mission.
18. Name the two Indian individuals who reacted against western education.
19. Write a short note on Sri Aurobindo Ghose.
20. Who was William Carey?
21. Who was one of the first Company officials to study Sanskrit? (
(a) John Mills
(b) William Jones
(c) Esther Hills
(d) Robert Clive
22. Where was a madarasa set up in 1861 to promote the Islamic law?
23. Who started the Shantiniketan in 1901?
(a) Rabindranath Tagore
(b) Subhash Chandra Bose
(c) Aurbindo Ghosh
(d) R C Mukherjee