NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Science Chapter 8 Winds, storms and cyclones are one of the most important lessons to be learnt. Class 7 students can always refer to the NCERT textbooks and NCERT revision notes as well. The NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Science Chapter 8 is provided here to help students understand the chapter in an interesting way.
The Solutions are prepared by expert teachers keeping in mind the current / updated CBSE syllabus. These NCERT questions should be solved regularly if the students are aspiring to score good marks in their examinations. You can download the winds storms, and cyclones Class 7 notes PDF.
Chapter 8 Solutions for Class 7 Science has been classified into groups, which makes it easy to comprehend and can assist the students in clearing all their queries in an effortless manner. The NCERT Solutions help the students to be aware of what to answer for the respective questions accordingly.
The NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Science chapter 8 comprises a wide range of concepts. These concepts help the students to comprehend, learn and write them well in their upcoming exams. This is a ready reckoner for the class 7 students.
Access Answers of NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Science Chapter 8 – Winds, Storms and Cyclones
1. Fill the missing word in the blank spaces in the following statements:
(a) Wind is——————air.
(b) Winds are generated due to——————heating on the earth.
(c) Near the earth’s surface __________air rises up whereas ___________ air comes down.
(d) Air moves from a region of ——— pressure to a region of——— pressure.
(a) Wind is moving air.
(b) Winds are generated due to uneven heating on the earth.
(c) Near the earth’s surface, warm air rises up whereas cold air comes down.
(d) Air moves from a region of high air pressure to a region of low air pressure.
2. Suggest two methods to find out wind direction at a given place.
Methods to finding out the wind direction at a given place are as follows
i. By seeing the direction of dry leaves released in the air.
ii By seeing the direction in which it is difficult to ride the bicycle.
3. State two experiences that made you think that air exerts pressure (other than those given in the text).
i. When we fill the air in the balloon, it becomes tight and if we try to fill more air balloon will get burst which proves air exerts pressure.
ii. Wind causes curtains, doors and windows to move with the direction of the wind. This demonstrates air exerts pressure.
4. You want to buy a house. Would you like to buy a house having windows but no ventilators? Explain your answer.
It is not a good idea to buy a house without ventilators because warm air is lighter than cold air hence warm air passes out of your home through ventilators. Accordingly, without ventilators, warm air will not pass out, and the house will remain warm.
5. Explain why holes are made in hanging banners and hoardings.
Holes in the banners and hoardings helps air to pass through it. Hence, banner can withstand the pressure of the air and remains intact.
6. How will you help your neighbours in case cyclone approaches your village/town?
We can help our neighbours in case a cyclone approaches, by any of the following measures:
- By helping them shift to a safer place.
- By helping them to shift their animals, necessary households and vehicles to a safer place.
- By calling emergency services such as fire station, police and medical centres.
7. What planning is required in advance to deal with the situation created by a cyclone?
- We should not ignore the warnings issued by the meteorological department through TV, radio, or newspapers.
- We should — make necessary arrangements to shift the essential household goods, domestic animals and vehicles, etc. to safer places;
- Avoid driving on roads through standing water, as floods may have damaged the roads.
- Phone numbers of all emergency services like police, fire brigade, and medical centres should be handy.
- Always store drinking water for emergencies.
- Do not touch wet switches and fallen power lines.
- Do not pressurise the rescue force by making undue demands.
- Cooperate and help your neighbours and friends.
8. Which one of the following places is unlikely to be affected by a cyclone?
(ii) Mangaluru (Mangalore)
The answer is (iii) Amritsar because Amritsar is far away from the sea while the remaining three are coastal areas and are more likely to be hit by cyclone.
9. Which of the statements given below is correct?
(i) In winter the winds flow from the land to the ocean.
(ii) In summer the winds flow from the land towards the ocean.
(iii) A cyclone is formed by a very high-pressure system with very high-speed winds revolving around it.
(iv) The coastline of India is not vulnerable to cyclones.
The answer is (i) In winter, the winds flow from the land to the ocean.
Important topics covered in NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Science Chapter 8 Winds, Storms and Cyclones
- Air exerts pressure
- High-speed winds are accompanied by reduced air pressure
- Air expands on heating
- Wind currents are generated due to uneven heating on the earth
- Uneven heating between the equator and the poles
- Uneven heating of land and water
- Thunderstorms and cyclones
- How does a thunderstorm become a cyclone
- The destruction caused by the cyclones
- Effective safety measures
- Advanced technology has helped
The above mentioned concepts are briefly explained in the NCERT Solutions. NCERT books are one of the most reliable textbooks. For all chapter of Class 7 Science NCERT Solutions click here.
We, at BYJU’S, provide NCERT Solutions for all the classes in a precise and an easy way. BYJU’S provides solutions for all the classes and chapters in brief.
Frequently Asked Questions on NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Science Chapter 8
What are the important topics covered in the Chapter 8 of NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Science?
1. Air exerts pressure
2. High-speed winds are accompanied by reduced air pressure
3. Air expands on heating
4. Wind currents are generated due to uneven heating on the earth
5. Uneven heating between the equator and the poles
6. Uneven heating of land and water
7. Thunderstorms and cyclones
8. How does a thunderstorm become a cyclone
9. The destruction caused by the cyclones
10. Effective safety measures
11. Advanced technology has helped
Why are holes made in hoardings and hanging banners discussed in the Chapter 8 of NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Science?
What are the advantages of using the NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Science Chapter 8?
1. The expert teachers design the solutions to provide an easy and relevant study material for the students.
2. PDF can be downloaded by the students as per their needs.
3. All the concepts are covered in the solutions to help students gain a deeper understanding and knowledge.
4. Students can refer to these solutions during revision to save lots of time searching for the correct answers.