Metals and Non-metals
‘Chemistry’ is one of the basic branches of science that deals with the properties, structure and constituents of matter or substances and its interactions with other forms of matter. There is a lot of difference that can be seen when you compare Basic Chemistry and Modern chemistry. Basic Chemistry originated in ancient times at the hands of famous scientists called Alchemists. It explained all the basics of the subject which were concluded after a series of experiments which shed light on how they really worked. Whereas Modern Chemistry prevailed in the 17th century which laid systematic steps in gaining knowledge about matter. Modern chemistry brought about various theories which finally became justified with the experiments they conducted to prove how matter interacts.
Branches of Chemistry
Due to vast variety of interactions possible between matter in general, there are said to be five branches of Chemistry namely organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, biochemistry and physical chemistry. The details about them are explained below-
- Organic Chemistry– It is a branch of chemistry which deals with the study of carbon-based compounds. It mainly applies to the study of the behavior, characteristics, compositions and the properties of the organic compounds. It is also known as The Chemistry of Life.
- Inorganic Chemistry– A branch of chemistry that deals with the study of metals and gaseous matter or materials which does not contain carbon as an element in it, is called as Inorganic chemistry. It is opposite to that of Organic Chemistry.
- Physical Chemistry– The combined study of using physics and chemistry to explain chemical systems is called as Physical chemistry. This branch relates to the physical properties along with the structure of matter and energy. The sub-branches coming under this field are quantum physics and thermodynamics.
- Biochemistry– Biochemistry is a branch of chemistry which deals with the study of the chemical processes that takes place in living organisms. Hence the name Biochemistry .
- Analytical Chemistry– It is an interesting field of chemistry that studies about the properties of matter, along with the composition of different substances and materials. This branch of chemistry uses quantitative methods for the identification of chemical and physical properties of matter.
As you might be aware of common salt which we use in our foods, Have you ever observed what happens when the elements of these substances are involved in reactions?
Consider the sodium metal element when it reacts with water it produces a kind of hissing sound by giving out hydrogen as a gas. This is due to the chemical reaction which makes it happen. The equation for this chemical reaction can be represented as given below :
Na + H2O —–> NaOH + H2
On more reaction would be the chemical reaction between sodium and chlorine. There is a formation of Sodium chloride or commonly known as common salt. Likewise, there are many chemical reactions taking place within and around us all which are all by the phenomenon of chemistry.
Applications of Chemistry
Chemistry has a wide number of applications coming in various fields which are given below-
- Food Chemistry
- Environmental chemistry
- Chemical engineering
- Agricultural chemistry, etc.
Learning Chemistry Online – How is it helpful
Chemistry is a subject that involves fun. Meanwhile, it also requires a good imagination to understand the deeper insights of the topics. Many students find it hard when going through chemical reactions and formulas. These things need an imaginative study. In the old way blackboard learning, there might be few topics which the student might have been missed or would not be understood.
Hence Online learning is so preferred because it enhances the learning skills of students. They tend to enjoy while learning things. A student can easily fetch a topic which he/she has missed in the classroom. Here at Byju’s, the students are offered with some engaging and fully structured video formats from experts and the methods of studying explained will widen their learning ability. At Byju’s, the chemistry topics are taught with good diagrams in an active way which would never forget about. A student is provided with chemistry quiz programs, regular tests and interactive study sessions with our experts for the class 6 to class 12.
|Air pollution||Rainwater Harvesting||Acid Rain||Organic Chemistry|
|Chemical Reactions||Electronic Configuration||Nomenclature||Colloids|